Sunday, December 12, 2010

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

Quinta Ruban is Glenmorangie's Port finished whisky. After spending 10 years in American Oak, it spends the last two in Port pipes. Port finished whiskies are not as common as Sherried whiskies, and this one seems to be one of the easiest to find in the United States, at least in the same price range.

Nose: Raisin, caramel, apple, orange, light oak, mint

Palate: Plum, grape, mint, cinnamon, light oak

Finish: Chocolate, coffee, mint, orange, Glenmorangie almond, toffee

In my review of Lasanta, I said the nose was great, but it fizzled out from there. This is not the case with the Quinta Ruban. It is a lush, decadent, full flavored whisky. The Glenmorangie website describes this one as "The darkest and most intense whisky" of their finished whiskies, and I certainly agree with this. I am a big fan of dark, intense whiskies so I really enjoy this one. The Lasanta is dark, but lacks the intensity that the Quinta Ruben pulls off so nicely. Also, the Quinta Ruben is more complex than Lasanta. In other words, if given a choice between the two, I would go with Quinta Ruban.

For my review of Glenmorangie Original, click here.
For my review of Glenmorangie Lasanta, click here.
For my review of Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or, click here.

Please follow me on Twitter - USScotchReview
Email: americanscotchreview@gmail.com